The Nelson Clinic has an experienced team of clinicians that are accredited to provide assessments and therapy related to sexual trauma.
These services are available to any adult or child who has experienced sexual trauma in New Zealand at any point in their lives.
This support is fully funded by ACC and you can start whenever you are ready. There are also support services available for your family and whānau.
Accessing ISSC therapy
To access this service, you will need to meet with an ACC registered therapist who will explain the process to you.
- You can start therapy as soon as a therapist is available
- You do not need to wait for ACC to process your claim
- You can choose how long you want counselling for
- You can take a break and come back to counselling at a later date if you wish
- It is okay to change therapists if you want someone who better suits you
Group Therapy: Trauma Sensitive Yoga
Trauma Sensitive Yoga (TSY) aims to introduce yoga in a way which supports participants to notice what they feel in their body and enable a sense of agency in moving their body in a way that feels safe and empowered. Participants are invited to engage in movement and to choose how to respond. This practice of Trauma Sensitive Yoga is from the Trauma Centre Trauma Sensitive Yoga programme at the Justice Research Institute and is based on research which has been carefully designed to assist in healing the effects of trauma. A safe and supportive group environment will be offered, with two facilitators to provide guidance. This environment is suitable for all abilities and no experience is needed.
Trauma Sensitive Yoga is a 60-minute class. After the class, clients are offered the opportunity to drink tea, connect with others and/or make use of a range of activities. This is optional and clients can leave at any time. This time is designed to support safe opportunities for social connection and integration of yoga.
Potential benefits and outcomes of TSY:
- Improved emotional regulation and reduction of hyperarousal
- Reconnecting with and befriending the body in a compassionate way
- Awareness of breath
- Developing awareness of choices in relation to the body
- Tuning into the body and somatic sensations safely